Upma is a south Indian breakfast recipe that can be cooked in a jiffy! I make variety of upma recipes with Rava or Sooji (Semolina), Aval or Poha (beaten rice), Arisi or Akki (rice), Sabudana or Javvarisi (sago), Semiya (vermicelli), Oats etc. Rava upma is very simple and easy to prepare. I roast rava (semolina) in bulk, allow it to cool and store it in air tight container. So when I prepare rava upma all I need to do is – do seasoning, toss in vegetables (optional), water and pre roasted rava and allow it cook. It would not take more than 10-15 minutes for me to cook tasty rava upma! I even saw roasted rava (just like roasted vermicelli) in Indian stores. I always aim at spending least time in the kitchen yet preparing healthy and tasty recipes to my family 🙂
I love dry rava upma. I hate if it is too oily/mushy! I have noticed that the taste of rava upma varies with the type of rava (small/big rava).
Rava: 1 cup
Water: 2.5 cups
Mixed vegetables (Chopped): 1/2 cup (Carrots, peas, beans, potatoes etc)
Salt: to taste
Curry leaves: few
Hing: a pinch
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Onion: 1 (finely chopped/cut lenghwise)
Green chillies: 2-3
Urad dal: 1/2 tsp
Chana dal: 1/2 tsp
Ginger: 1/2 tsp (minced)
Cooking oil: 3-4 tsps
Note: I usually add 1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of rava to cook rava upma without veggies. I increase the amount of water if I add vegetables.
- Dry fry rava till it turns slightly brownish in color.
- Allow it to cool
- Heat oil in a pan do seasoning with mustard, cumin seeds, hing, urad dal, chana dal, ginger and green chillies.
- Add onion and saute till it turns transparent.
- Toss in veggies and saute for few minutes.
- Add water and salt and close the pan.
- Allow water to boil and ensure that veggies are cooked.
- Sim the stove and add rava, stirring continuously.
- Stir well to avoid lumps.
- Close the pan and allow rava to cook well.
- Once rava is cooked, remove from the stove top and serve upma with chutney/chips.
Click here to read about more upma recipes.
Share & Enjoy! -