Aval upma (avalakki uppittu) is our comfort food. I prepare this quite often. I learnt this recipe from a kannadiga friend. She was my colleague and my room mate during my pre marriage days. Back from a taxing work at office we would be tired to cook and it was at one of those times, she introduced this jiffy recipe to me. From then till now aval upma is one of my favourites 🙂
Note: Use thick poha/aval for this recipe. Thin flakes would make the recipe very soggy! Roasted peanuts add the crunchiness, but adding this is purely personal preference.
Aval (poha): 1 cup
Mustard seed: 1/2 tsp
Asafetida (Hing): 1/4 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Green chilies (or Red): 2-3 (Chopped)
Curry leaves: few
Cilantro : few (Chopped)
Cooking oil: 3 tsps
Turmeric: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Peanuts (optional): handful (roasted)
- Finely chop onion.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, turmeric powder, green chillies and asafetida.
- Sauté onions till transparent.
- Meanwhile wash poha and drain the water completely.
- Once onions are done, add salt and peanuts and fry for a minute.
- Finally toss poha and mix thoroughly.
- Keep stirring and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with yoghurt/pickle.
Share & Enjoy! -