Kadhi is a Maharastrian recipe made with yogurt (curd). Its very similar to mor kuzhambu. The vegetables/greens added gives a wonderful flavor to this yogurt based gravy.
Am sure you would have guessed what Thona thona means from the title. We tanjore maharastrians call methi kadhi by this name 😉 My tamil friends find this name quite funny! Thona-thona in tamil means – chatterbox!
Methi leaves have a bitter taste. Yet they are loaded with nutrients. I make sure to use them quite often in our menu. Methi dal and methi kadhi are very popular at our place. You can replace methi leaves in this kadhi recipe with spinach too!
To prepare (soak): 30-45 min
To cook: 30 min
Methi leaves: a bunch (almost 1 cup)
Yoghurt: 200 gms
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut: 2 tsp
Salt: to taste
Chana dal (bengal gram/kadalai paruppu): 3 tbsp
Jeera: (cumin seeds/jeeragam): 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 3
Ginger: 1/2” piece
Dhaniya (coriander seeds/malli): 1 tsp
Hing (asafetida/perungayam): a pinch
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil (nallennai): 1 tbsp
Curry leaves: few (chopped)
Cilantro: few (chopped)
Note: Do not pressure cook methi leaves. Add little water and cook on stove top until done.
- Soak chana dal, dhaniya, jeera, green chilies and ginger in 1/2 cup hot water for 30-45 min.
- Meanwhile wash and clean methi leaves.
- Cook the leaves and mash them.
- Adding water. grind the soaked ingredients with coconut into fine paste.
- Add 1 c of water to yogurt and blend it well.
- Add ground mixture, turmeric powder and mashed methi leaves to yogurt and allow it to cook.
- When it starts boiling add salt and remove from the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan and do seasoning with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add it to kadhi.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot rice.
I hope you liked methi kadhi! Here is another kadhi recipe with okra/bhindi. Click on the picture to read more.
Share & Enjoy! -