Two items that always remains in my grocery shopping list are cilantro and mint! Both have wonderful flavor that just refreshes me! These green beauties always find a place in my cooking. After enjoying pudina pulao for numerous times, I thought of making pudina (mint) rice.
This recipe is very simple. Cook rice and pudina paste separately and mix them just as you do for any variety rice. I have already given the recipe for pudina podi. You can follow that or the one given below.
Have you ever thought of adding mint in hot chocolate? I recently tasted minty hot chocolate at Starbucks, it was too gud!! For all mint lovers (like me), here is the simple pudina rice recipe!
Pudina (Mint): 1 (big) bunch
Cilantro: Handful (optional)
Chana dal (Bengal gram): 5 tsps
Urad dal (Black gram):5 tsps
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies: 3-4
Hing: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Tamarind: a pinch
Cooking oil: 2 tsps
Ginger: 1/2 inch piece
Garlic: 2-3 pods
Sesame oil: 2-3 tsps
- Cook rice and allow it to cool.
- Wash and clean the greens.
- Heat oil and fry dal, red chillies and hing.
- After 2-3 minutes, add garlic, ginger and cumin seeds.
- Once dal turns slight brownish in colour add the greens and shallow fry for 2 mins.
- Remove from the stove and allow it to cool.
- Now add salt and tamarind and grind it into powder.
- Mix the pudina powder with rice adding sesame oil as required.
- Enjoy the pudina sadham /mint rice with raita and papad.
How to cook rice for kalavai sadham / variety rice: When ever we prepare any variety rice (or kalandha sadham), we would like to cook rice such that the grains are separate. Here are the steps to cook rice for any variety rice recipe.
- Wash rice and drain the water completely.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil (for 1 cup of rice) and fry it for 3-4 mins in low flame.
- Add proportionate amount of water (like-1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of basmati rice) and pressure cook the rice.
- Allow the rice to cool before you mix it with any powder/paste.
Some soak the rice for 10-15 mins before frying it. In that case, do not throw the water used for soaking. You can use the same for cooking too.
Share & Enjoy! -