Every time I cook any cabbage recipe, especially cabbage curry, I remember one of my colleague. She could never imagine cabbage curry without coconut! We tried convincing her that there are lots of ways we can prepare cabbage curry. My grandmother used to add a pinch of haldi (turmeric/mangal) powder and moong dal in the curry. Some add red chillies and few prefer green chillies for seasoning. My colleague would argue that authentic (?!) cabbage curry should have coconut added to it. She could not take the idea of adding moong dal or not adding coconut!!
We were sick of arguing with her and let her live with her own ideologies 🙂 I love all the versions of cabbage poriyal. The days I have coconut at home, I enjoy cabbage poriyal with coconut flakes. Some days I prefer adding moong dal with cabbage. Some days I make simple cabbage poriyal without coconut and dal. Here is a simple cabbage poriyal recipe.
Cabbage (muttai kose): 250 gms
Green chillies: 2 (Slit length wise)
Hing: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Cilantro: Handful (Chopped)
Cooking oil: 2 tsps
Mustard and cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Note: I feed my 18 months old son almost everything that I cook at home. In case you prepare curry for your LO, avoid adding too much chillies. You can even avoid chana/urad dal in seasoning(in tadka/ponni) until your kid knows how to chew properly.
- Wash, clean and chop cabbage.
- Heat oil in a wok and do seasoning with mustard, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal, green chillies and hing.
- Add cabbage and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add salt and allow the cabbage to cook.
- Keep the stove in sim and sprinkle water if needed.
- Once cabbage is cooked, add cilantro and stir well.
- Remove from the stove and serve with rice.
Share & Enjoy! -