Few days back, I tried to prepare medhu vadai. But the batter didn’t have thick consistency. In fact I added very little water while grinding still I couldn’t shape the vadais (with the hole). I prepared medhu bonda with it and it was great hit 😀
This time I was more conscious about adding water while grinding the urad dal. The vadais came out very well. Here is my version of mini medhu vadai – ulundu vadai.
Urad dal: 200 gms
Onion: 1 medium sized
Green chilies: few
Curry leaves: few
Pepper: 1 tbsp
Salt: To taste
- Soak the urad dal in water for about 30 mins.
- Drain the water completely and leave it for another 20-30 mins.
- Now grind the dal without adding water.
- Chop the onion, green chilies and curry leaves and add it to the batter.
- Add pepper and salt and mix well.
- Take a plastic sheet and grease it with little oil.
- Take the batter in small amounts, pat it in the greased sheet and make a hole in the center.
- After shaping, transfer it in ladle and slide it in the oil.
- Deep fry the vadais.
Tips and Tricks:
- Shaping vadais would be very easy if the dough has a thick consistency.
- We can easily pat the dough in our hand and slide it in the oil using a ladle.
- I used greased plastic sheet since this was my first attempt.
- It would be safe if we use wooden ladle.
Share & Enjoy! -