All those who have aversion towards cauliflower must taste this dish at least once! Am sure your distaste for the veggie would vanish away. My mom hates this veggie and she never bought it. Growing up I always felt irritated to see any dish made with cauliflower.
After marriage, DH was totally surprised to learn that I had never tasted gobi manchurian! He insisted me that I try the dish and I reluctantly tried it at a restaurant. Believe me it was awesome and I fell in love with the recipe! Never knew cauliflower would taste yummy!
I tried the recipe at home and it turned out great. Our 2 yr old loved munching gobi florets 🙂
1. for Fry
All purpose flour: 6 tbsp
Corn starch: 4 tbsp
Cauliflower florets: 1 cup (used 1 small cauliflower)
Baking powder: 1/4 tbsp
Oil: for frying
Salt: to taste
Pepper powder: 1/2 tbsp
2. for Sauce
finely chopped Onion: 1 cup
finely minced Ginger and Garlic: 1 tbsp
finely chopped Green bell pepper: 1 cup
Corn starch: 1 tbsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Soy sauce: 1 tbsp
Szechuan sauce: 1 tbsp
Tomato ketchup: 2 tbsp
Green chillies: 2 (chopped)
Spring onions: 1 bunch
Cilantro: 1/2 bunch
Step 1: preparing the Sauce
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Once hot, put onion in and fry for a few minutes. Add ginger and garlic and keep frying. Add salt to taste.
- Once the onion turns transparent, add green bell pepper and keep frying in medium heat for a few minutes.
- Once the bell pepper is cooked sufficiently and the oil starts to separate from the mixture add the soy sauce, Szechuan sauce and tomato ketchup into the mix and keep stirring.
- Mix 1 tbsp of corn starch with some water (2-3 tbsp of water) and pour it into the pan.
- Let it simmer for some time. The sauce starts to thicken due to corn starch.
- Remove from flame once the right consistency is reached.
Step 2: fry Cauliflower Florets
- Soak cauliflower florets in hot water along with salt and pepper for about 10-12 minutes. Don’t keep them too long or they will become soft and lose their shape.
- Drain the water and wipe the florets dry with a wash cloth or paper.
- Mix all purpose flour with corn starch and baking powder along with salt and pepper.
- Add water slowly and keep stirring until it becomes a fine paste. It should be thick enough to coat the cauliflower florets and thin enough to be poured.
- In a separate pan, take some oil and heat it.
- Dip the cauliflower florets into the paste and make sure the florets are coated thoroughly.
- Once coated, put the florets into the frying pan and fry them until they are golden brown.
- Remove the florets and wipe away excess oil on the florets.
Note: Try to fry all the florets in one or two tries so that they don’t become soggy.
Step 3: mix everything and Sauté them
- Once cauliflower florets are fully fried, put the prepared sauce back on the flame and mix the florets thoroughly in the sauce.
- Add spring onions and cilantro and fry them in high heat, making sure to stir constantly so as to coat the florets with the sauce.
- Remove from flame after 5-6 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup and/or hot chilly sauce.
For best taste and crispiness serve immediately after removing from flame.
Share & Enjoy! -