I was browsing an old magazine and found an “one-pot” non-vegetarian dish with chicken broth, green peppers (capsicum), onions and tomatoes! Never thought of using capsicum and tomatoes in a single pot dish! Thanks to that recipe, it gave me an idea – to make tomato rice (thakkali sadham) with green capsicum! Onions, capsicum and potatoes cooked with tomatoes and a hint of spices – ah… it was heavenly!
Before I post the tomato rice recipe, let me first introduce the other versions of tomato rice I have already posted . Click on the pictures to get the preparation method.
Back to Tomato Rice with Capsicum. In this recipe, we prepare veggie gravy separately and mix it with cooked rice. Use any long grain rice/Basmati rice. The rice must be cooked such that the grains stand separate. It should not mushy. There is a trick to cook rice so that the grains don’t stick together to form lumps. Click here to learn how to cook rice for any single pot meal.
Onion: 2 (chopped length-wise)
Green Capscium (Bell pepper): 1 (Chopped finely)
Potato: 1-2 (bite size cubes)
Mint leaves: Handful (chopped finely)
Cilantro: Handful (chopped finely)
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Black pepper powder: 1/8 tsp
Salt: to taste
Cooking Oil: 2 tbsp (= 6tsp)
Green Chillies: 3-4 (Slit length-wise)
Cinnamon: 1/2 inch bark
Asafetida (Hing/Perungayam): a pinch
Ginger & Garlic: 1 tsp (minced)
Spring Onion: 2-3 (Chopped, Optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and do seasoning with cloves, cinnamon, asafetida, green chillies, ginger & garlic.
- Toss onion and sauté till transparent.
- Add potatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add black pepper powder, salt and chilli powder.
- Finally add capsicum and cook it till turns soft.
- Meanwhile clean tomatoes and blend them in mixer.
- Add tomato juice to the veggies.
- Add mint and cilantro and stir thoroughly.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until veggies are cooked well in the tomato sauce.
- Once done add cooked rice and mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve with carrot raita or pappad.
Share & Enjoy! -