Paruppu usili is my favorite. We call it maatoda in Tanjore Marathi. We can prepare the paruppu usili using beans, vazhai poo (Keliche poola), fenugreek (methi) leaves etc. Here is the kothavaranga (cluster beans) paruppu usili recipe.
Bengal gram (Kadalai paruppu): 1 cup
Red Chilies: 7-8
Asafetida: a pinch
Oil: 5-6 tsps
Curry leaves: few
Cluster beans (Kothavaranga): 250 gms
Salt: to taste
Mustard seeds: for seasoning
- Soak the dal (Bengal gram) and red chilies overnight.
- Grind it into coarse paste (grind with the water used for soaking).
- Spread the dal paste in a bowl and pressure cook it without adding water.
- Clean and chop the cluster beans and pressure cook the same.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard seeds, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Now add the cooked beans and saute it.
- Powder the cooked dal and add it to the sauteed beans.
- Add salt and keep frying till the dal turns crispy and slight brownish in color.
- Tasty kothavaranga paruppu usili is ready to relish 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -