I really drool when people talk about famous restaurants like Saravana bhavan. Here in Chicago there are very few south Indian restaurants. Well, for the past one year, I have never had a decent coconut chutney in the hotels! I guess they just mix salt with the coconut flakes and do seasoning. I wanted to taste our own “thengai chutney with ven pongal”. Here is my earnest attempt in making the ven pongal 😉
Moong dal: 1 cup
Rice: 1 cup
Pepper: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: few
Green chilies (chopped): few
Asafetida: a pinch
Salt: to taste
- Add about 4 cups of water and pressure cook the rice and dal together.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds, pepper, curry leaves, green chilies and asafetida.
- Remove it from the stove when you smell the aroma of the ingredients in the melted ghee.
- Now add cooked rice + dal and salt with it.
- Mix it thorougly.
- Serve hot pongal with sambar, chutney or godju (aka godsu).
PS: Now am sick of using the packed coconut flakes! I got fresh coconut in the Indian store and used it for making chutney. It tasted very well 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -