It has been raining for the past few days. Officially spring is here but still no signs of improvement in the weather. Thankfully there has been no snow fall. This yucky gloomy weather makes me sick. I have been taking soups these days to fight cold and cough. Amma used to prepare goddu saaru (rasam). With hot pepper and garlic, aroma of goddu saaru would make us feel cozy and comfortable. This recipe is good for indigestion too.
Tamarind : Lemon size
Pepper: 2 tsps
Cumin seeds: 2 tsps
Garlic pods: few
Curry leaves: few
Salt: to taste
Mustard seeds: for seasoning
- Soak the tamarind pulp in water and extract the juice.
- Add about 1.5 glass of water with the tamarind extract and heat it.
- Grind the pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves and garlic.
- Add this mixture and salt to the tamarind water.
- Allow it boil till we smell the aroma of the ingredients.
- Remove from stove.
- Do seasoning with mustard seeds and add it to the rasam.
- Serve it hot.
Goddu saaru (rasam) can be had with hot rice or just as a soup 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -