Moong dal (payatham paruppu) tadka is one of my comfort food. It tastes good with rice as well as with roti/chapathis. We Maharastrians are famous for our Varan Bath – Dal with rice! Mostly it would be toor dal (thuvaram paruppu), but moog dal varan also tastes delicious.
The basic varan recipe calls for dal, ghee and seasoning ingredients. But we can add vegetables like onion, tomatoes, cut beans or carrot, peas etc to make this simple varan recipe even more delicious and suited to our taste.
Moong dal: 1 cup
Onion: 1 (Chopped finely)
Cilantro: Handful (Chopped finely)
Curry leaves: few
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Green chillies: 2-3
Turmeric powder: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Cooking oil: 3 tsps
Asafetida (Hing): a pinch
Note: You can also use red chillies.
- Pressure cook moong dal adding turmeric to it.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard, cumin seeds and asafetida.
- Toss in onions, chillies and curry leaves.
- Add salt and sauté onions till transparent.
- Add cooked dal and mix well.
- Keep stirring for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from the stove and garnish with cilantro.
Varan Bath: Varan mixed with hot steaming rice (Bath) and ghee!
- Add Varan (Cooked as above)and ghee to hot rice.
- Add salt if necessary.
- Mix well and serve hot!
Share & Enjoy! -