Ambat bhaji is yet another Tanjore Maharastrian dish! Ambat means tangy and bhaji is vegetable. We can use any greens in this recipe. I have used Palak/Spinach to prepare Ambat bhaji.
Kannadigas enjoy this recipe as soppu (greens) huli palya. This recipe is different from soppu sambar or keerai sambar which requires sambar podi (powder). We do not use sambar podi in ambat bhaji.
Spinach: a bunch
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Asafetida (hing/perungayam): a pinch
Salt: to taste
Peanuts: Handful (optinal)
Red chillies: 3-4
Fenugreek seeds (Methi/vendayam): 1/2 tsp
Tamarind: lemon size
Toor dal: 1 cup
Note: Adding peanuts is purely optional. I love peanuts in any form (boiled/raw/roasted… ah tasty!!). Boiled peanuts in ambat bhaji tastes awesome!
- Pressure cook toor dal adding turmeric to it.
- Wash, clean and chop spinach.
- Heat 2 tsps of oil and do seasoning with mustard, red chillies, fenugreek and asafetida.
- Ensure that fenugreek is not over fried.
- Add spinach and keep frying for 2-3 mins.
- Extract the juice from tamarind pulp and add it to spinach mixture.
- Add salt and allow the greens to cook in tamarind water.
- Once done, add dal(along with the water used for cooking) and cooked peanuts to the spinach mixture.
- Keep stirring for 2-3 mins and remove from the stove top.
- Serve ambat bhaji / soppu huli palya with hot rice.
PS: Enjoy Ambat bhaji bath with mor milagai!
Share & Enjoy! -