We celebrated our dear son’s star birthday and ayush homam at our home. I prepared rava kesari for neivedhyam. Skandhu enjoyed his birthday celebrations and we felt very happy and contended 🙂
Rava kesari is an easiest sweet recipe that can be made in a jiffy! Some dont roast the rava before making kesari. But I prefer roasting rava in ghee until it turns brownish in color and leaves out a sweet aroma!
Rava (sooji): 1 cup
Water: 1.75 cups
Sugar: 1 cup
Ghee: 3-4 tbsps
Dates(optional): few (chopped)
Kesari powder/orange color (optional): 1/4 tsp
Cardamom (Elachi) powder: 1/4 tsp
- I have not used kesari powder/orange color in this recipe. I prefer to the have the golden brown color of the roasted rava itself.
- I have added dates to kesari. This again is a personal preference 🙂
- I like to have a jam like consistency for the kesari. You can even add 2 cups of water for a loose consistency.
- Use non-stick pan for easy stirring.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan.
- Roast cashews and dates till it turns slightly brown in color.
- Allow it cool and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee and roast rava till it turns golden brown in color.
- Transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool.
- Add water in the pan and allow it to boil.
- Now add sugar, kesari powder and cardamom powder.
- Once the sugar dissolves, add roasted rava.
- This should be done slowly with continuous stirring so as to avoid forming lumps.
- Close the pan and allow the rava to cook for a few minutes.
- Once kesari starts thickening, add the remaining ghee and keep on stirring for few minutes until the rava gets cooked completely.
- Remove it from the stove top and garnish with the roasted cashews and dates.
- Enjoy the yummy dates rava kesari 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -