Puliyogare and curd rice… yummy combo!! I love puliyogare but I dont like the instant mix. Nothing like preparing the puliyogare paste at home!! I usually do the jiffy pulikachal gojju. Here is another version of preparing puliyogare paste. I love both the versions 🙂
Tamarind paste: 4 tbsp
Jaggery: lemon sized ball
Salt: to taste
Turmeric: a pinch
Gram dal: 6 tsp
Urad dal: 6 tsp
Red chillies: 15
Hing powder: 1tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Methi seeds: ½ tsp
Curry leaves: few
Roasted peanuts: handful (optional)
Cashew nuts: few (optional )
Sesame seeds: 2 tsp
Grated coconut: 4 tbsp
Preparation of Puliyogare paste / Pulikachal gojju:
- Soak the tamarind in 1.5 cups of hot water and sqeeze the extract.
- Meanwhile dry fry seasame seeds and grated coconut.
- Roast the following ingredients in 1 tsp of oil and powder them along with roasted sesame seeds – coconut mixture.
- 3 tsp of gram dal
- 3 tsp of urad dal
- 7-8 red chillies &
- Heat oil and temper all the remanining ingredients (except the nuts).
- Add the tamarind extract, salt and turmeric and allow it to boil.
- As it starts thickening, add the ground powder and jaggery.
- Mix well and make sure not to leave lumps.
- Temper the nuts and add them to the boiling mixture.
- When the mixture reaches paste/jam consistency, remove it from the stove top.
- The puliyogare paste / pulikachal gojju is ready 🙂
Preparation of Puliyogare / Pulisadam:
- Cook rice such that the grains are separate.
- Add the puliyogare paste /pulikachal gojju, 2-3 tsp of raw gingelly oil (gives nice aroma and taste) and curry leaves with rice and mix very well.
- Serve puliyogare with appalams/vadams 🙂
PS: Amount of puliyogare paste that is added to the rice depends on personal taste. Ensure that you add enough paste so that the it mixes well with the rice.
Share & Enjoy! -
9 replies on “Puliyogare Recipe | Puli sadam”
puliyogre looks so tasty! my favorite…
The idea of going nuts and fruits that has been suggested is really worth considering. Thanks for putting ideas!