Pudina pulav is a staple single pot meal at our home. I have already posted pudina chana pulav recipe around 2 years back. Am revisiting the recipe:) The new version of pudina pulao has few extra ingredients than old recipe. Nevertheless both versions taste gud!
Basmati Rice: 1 cup
Pudina (Mint leaves): 1 bunch
Cilantro: handful (or half the quantity of mint leaves)
Potatoes: 2 (chopped as medium sized cubes)
Chana (Chickpeas): ½ cup
Grated coconut: 3 tbsp
Green chillies: 3
Garlic: 2-3 pods
Ginger: 2 tsps (minced)
Pepper: 2-3 pieces
Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
Cinnamon bark: thin piece of 1 inch length (or as required)
Asafetida (Hing): a pinch
Bay leaf: 1 (preferably small)
Salt: to taste
- Soak chana (chickpeas) in water overnight or at least 6-8 hrs. Drain water and use the soaked chana in the recipe. You need not pressure cook it prior to adding it in the pulao.
- If you use the canned chickpeas, throw the water, rinse it and use.
- I have used 1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of basmati rice. In case you use different variety of rice, change the amount of water accordingly.
- Chop onion and potatoes and keep it aside.
- Wash and clean mint leaves and cilantro.
- Grind mint leaves and cilantro together with ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, cumin seeds, green chillies and coconut.
- Add water as required and make a smooth paste.
- Wash and clean rice.
- Drain water from the rice and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil and sauté onion till transparent.
- Toss potatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground masala (mint paste), hing and salt and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- Mix rice and fry for 3-4 minutes in low flame.
- Add chana and bay leaf and mix well.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Serve hot with raita!
Share & Enjoy! -