Ponni sambar is one of the famous Thanjavur Marathi comfort food. Ponni means “seasoning”. The ingredients used for seasoning gives the flavour and wonderful aroma to this recipe. Though it has the name “sambar”, we do not add sambar powder/ground masala in this recipe.
Some call this as podni sambar, but ponni sambar is the right word! I have used capsicum (bell pepper) in this recipe. You can use any veggie of your choice. You can even make this sambar without adding any vegetable.
Time Taken:30 mins
Toor dal (thuvaram paruppu): 200 gms
Tamarind: gooseberry size ball
Tomato: 1-2 (chopped)
Red chillies: 4
Sesame (gingelly) oil: 4 tsp
Chana dal (kadala paruppu): 1 tsp
Methi seeds (vendhayam): 1 tsp
Hing (perungayam): 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp (or as per your taste)
Salt: to taste
Turmeric powder: a pinch
Curry leaves: few
Cilantro: few (chopped)
Capsicum (bell pepper): 1 (chopped -optional)
- Cook toor dal and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
- Meanwhile heat oil and do seasoning with mustard seeds, hing and red chillies.
- When mustard spatters, add chana dal, methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add capsicum (or any vegetable you wish to add) and sauté for 3-4 mins or till it is cooked.
- Toss tomatoes and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Allow to cook for 3-5 mins or till the raw flavor of tamarind disappears.
- Mash cooked dal and add it to the tamarind mixture.
- Cook for 1-2 mins and remove from stove top.
- Garnish with curry leaves and cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee (optional)
Share & Enjoy! -