Spring is near… this is my mantra now. Yes the thought about spring is itself very refreshing. Thankfully winter this year in Chicago isn’t too bad. The storm that was torturing the folks in east has finally abated! When ever it snows, I remember the famous Christmas song… “Let it snow..”
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we’ve no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
Being indoors increases our appetite for crunchy snacks.. Hot tea with something spicy… tastes heaven! Here is a spicy crispy crunchy snack tats healthy too 🙂
Thick Poha (Flattened rice / Beaten rice): 250 gms
Verkadalai (Peanut): 50 gms
Pottu kadalai (Fried gram): 50 gms
Copra (Dessicated coconut): 50 gms [Cut into small pieces]
Tamarind: Lemon size ball
Salt: to taste
Cooking oil: to do seasoning
Curry leaves: few
Asafetida (Hing): a pinch
- Dry fry verkadalai and remove the rind.
- Soak tamarind in water for about 30 mins
- Extract tamarind juice from the pulp and mix it with poha.
- Add chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder to it and mix thoroughly.
- Heat cooking oil and do seasoning using mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing.
- Add the tamarind poha mixture to it and fry well.
- Remove from the stove top.
- Now add copra, verkadalai and pottu kadalai and mix well.
- Serve with hot chai 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -