Pachadi (raita) is a perfect side dish for any single pot meal like pulav, fried rice or biryani. I try different varieties of thayir (curd/yogurt) pachadi. Apart from onion (which is the primary ingredient in most of the pachadi varieties), you can also add grated cucumber, shredded carrots, celery and cilantro. Veggies are added raw and it gives a crunchy taste.
Vendakka (okra / ladies finger / bhindi) thayir pachadi is famous recipe in TM (Thanjavore Maharastrian) menu. I have always had this at my aaji’s (grand mom) place. The recipe would be prepared in ambat dahi (sour curd or pulipu thayir). Somehow I don’t like the “ambat” taste in curd! If you like sour curd then go ahead and use it in the recipe. I have used regular yogurt in making okra pachadi.
Time Taken: 15 min
Okra: 200 gm (cut into small pieces)
Cooking oil: 4 tsp (preferably gingelly / sesame oil)
Yogurt (curd): 1 cup
Asafetida (Hing/Perumgayam): 1/8 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Salt: to taste
Curry leaves: few (chopped)
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard spatters, add asafetida, curry leaves and okra.
- Fry till the sliminess of okra vanishes and it is roasted well.
- Once done, add salt and mix well.
- Remove from stove top.
- Add yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Serve okra pachadi with sambar rice (if possible with bisi bele bath)
Share & Enjoy! -
58 replies on “Vendakka Pachadi | Okra Pachadi”
I too make the same .love it a lot ..