Thanks a lot dearies for your wishes 🙂 I have almost arranged our home. One gud thing about our new locality is that its close to Indian stores and restaurants… yay!!! Wondering why all these excitement??? For the past 1.5 yrs we were in the downtown quite away from the Indian diaspora!! Had to travel 20-25 miles to reach suburbs to get Indian groceries 🙁 Now almost everything is nearby. Feels happy as I type this
From the day I landed here I have been searching for fresh elephant foot yam (Suran / senai kizhangu).. my bad haven’t found yet! This weekend I got frozen suran. Something better than nothing… wanted to try out senai fry with the frozen veggie. It came out very well. Yeah I know this is a simple recipe… nothing new.. but thought of sharing the process of deep frying a frozen veggie.
Suran / Senai Kizhangu: 1/4 Kg
Cooking oil: 7-8 tsps (I was little liberal in using oil this time…)
Salt: to taste
Chili powder: 1/2 tsp
- Defrost the frozen suran/yam in microwave for 2 mins.
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Bake the veggie in oven for about 45 minutes or until the yam is completely dry
- Remove it from the oven after every 15 mins and rearrange them
- Make sure that the veggie doesn’t stick to the baking tray.
- Once the yam is completely dry remove it from the oven.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard, cumin seeds, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add yam and deep fry the same.
- Add salt and chili powder.
- Remove it from the stove top and relish the senai fry 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -