Any festival/function at our place wouldn’t be complete without the trio “Appala Ambode Payasa” (Papad, dal vada and kheer) making their appearance in the lunch served in the plantain leaf… Crunchy ambodes with papad and kheer would be the highlight in all the festivals along with a traditional sweet thats prepared pertaining to the festival. Ambode is a traditional Karnataka recipe. Its the same as Masal vadai (referred in Tamil Nadu). Here is the crunchy ambode recipe.
Chana dal: 1 cup
Green chilies: 4-5
Curry leaves: few
Salt: to taste
Coriander leaves (Cilantro): few
- Soak the chana dal for 1-2 hrs.
- Grind it (adding very little water) into coarse paste.
- Meanwhile finely chop onion, coriander leaves, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Add this along with salt to the dal paste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Take small amount of the dough and shape the ambode (vada) by patting it on ur palm.
- Deep fry the ambodes (vadas).
I grind the dal into coarse paste rather fine paste, coz I love to enjoy the crunchy and crispy ambodes 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -