Its been a long time since I made potato curry. DH loves potatoes in any form but I’m not a great fan of it! My mom used to rarely cook potatoes. She always rejected this veggie stating that it would cause “gas” problems 😛 Honestly speaking DH inspired me to eat potatoes. These days I add them in any pulao/bath that I prepare. Still potato curry is a rarity at our place!
I didn’t want to pass on my mom’s tradition to my kids so I do give boiled potatoes with ghee/potato sabji to my LO. Sometimes little A would love it and at times he wouldn’t even touch!
Potatoes: 3 (medium sized)
Mustard: 1/2 tsp
Asafetida (Hing/perungayam): a pinch
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: few
Cilantro: few (Chopped finely)
Cooking oil: 3 tsps
Salt: to taste
Red chillies: 2-3 (depending on how spicy you want)
Lemon/lime: 1 (small)
Turmeric powder: a pinch
- Wash and clean potatoes.
- Boil them and remove the rind.
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add salt and turmeric and fry for a minute.
- Add potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1-2 tsps of lemon juice/extract and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove the potato podimas from the stove top and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.
PS: Those who think potatoes are bad, read the info below (thanks: http://www.potato2008.org/en/potato/factsheets.html)
- The potato is a good source of dietary energy and some micro-nutrients, and its protein content is very high in comparison with other roots and tubers.
- Potato is low in fat – but preparing and serving potatoes with high fat ingredients raises the caloric value of the dish.
- Boiling potatoes in their skins prevents loss of nutrients.
- Potatoes also contain dietary antioxidants, which may play a part in preventing diseases related to ageing, and dietary fibre, which benefits health.
Share & Enjoy! -
14 replies on “Aloo Curry | Potato Podimas Recipe”
aloo podimas looks perfect and tempting.. lovely click !!
Yea,Hakdi a must!
Read Haldi for Hakdi