Kara kuzhambu is a famous dish in Tamil nadu. I have tasted this at many restaurants and at my friends’ place. I saw the recipe for vendakai kara kuzhambu in Aval Vikatan. I adopted the dish and made slight changes to it. The actual dish needs vendakai vattal. Since I didn’t have that, I used fresh okra itself
Okra (Bhindi / Vendakai): 1/2 cup (Chopped)
Onion: 1 (Chopped)
Grated Coconut: 1 cup
Vendhayam (Fenugreek seeds): 1/2 tsp
Red chilies: 3
Sambar podi / Gojju podi: 1.5 tsp
Curry leaves: few
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Gingelly oil: 3 tsps
Tamarind: Lemon size
Salt: to taste
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and fry vendhayam and red chilies.
- Remove it from stove top.
- Add grated coconut and water and grind it.
- Heat remaining oil and do seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add okra and onion and fry the same.
- Add sambar / gojju podi and keep stirring.
- Extract the tamarind juice and add it to the fried okra-onion mixture.
- Allow it to boil.
- Now add the coconut mixture and allow it to cook
- Once the gravy thickens, remove it from the stove top.
I added gojju podi instead of sambar podi. Taste was awesome
Share & Enjoy! -