Khichdi is one simple dish that has a blend of spices, dal and vegetables. This perfect single pot meal is ideal for lazy weekends
Rice: 1 cup
Moong dal: 1/2 cup
Whole Black pepper: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: a pinch
Curry leaves: few
Ghee: 5-6 tsps [NOTE: its tsps and not tbsps ]
Salt: to taste
Green chillies: 2-3 (Slit lengthwise)
Cashews: 5-10 pieces (purely optional!)
Carrots: 1/4 cup (chopped medium size)
Beans: 1/4 cup (Chopped)
Water: 4 cups
Note: You can use any vegetable like carrots, beans, cauliflower, peas etc. If you increase the quantity of vegetables, then increase the amount of water proportionately. If you like to taste mushy khichdi add 1 more cup of water.
- Wash and clean rice & dal.
- Drain water and leave them aside.
- Meanwhile clean veggies and chop them.
- Heat ghee and fry cashews, cumin seeds, black peppers, green chillies, hing and curry leaves.
- Toss in veggies and sauté them.
- Mix rice & dal and fry for 2-3 minutes or till raw aroma of dal vanishes.
- Add 4 cups of boiling water and salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once done add some ghee and mix well (weight watchers forget this!)
- Serve hot with carrot raita and chips
Share & Enjoy! -