I make Spinach/Palak dish once a week. It could be palak pulao, palak huli or simple palak sabji. There are lots of ways to prepare palak poriyal. Not a spinach lover? Try adding coconut or dal with the greens, I’m sure you will help yourself to a second serving. I like adding both fresh grated coconut & dal 🙂
Here is a simple recipe of Spinach poriyal with moong dal.
Spinach/Palak: a bunch
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Red chillies: 2-3
Hing: a pinch
Turmeric: a pinch
Salt: to taste
Cooking oil: 2 tsps
Moong dal: Handful (or more)
- Cook dal adding salt and turmeric to it.
- Ensure that dal is not overcooked and it retains its crunchiness.
- Meanwhile wash, clean and chop spinach.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard, cumin seeds, red chillies and hing.
- Add spinach and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add Salt and allow the greens to cook.
- Once done add cooked dal and mix well.
- Enjoy spinach poriyal with hot rice and ghee.
PS: Add grated coconut if available before serving.
Share & Enjoy! -