Pulao in tawa? This was my first thought when I came to know about this recipe. Little gyan for those souls that are like me – Tawa Pulao is a Mumbai street food. Rice is cooked separately and mixed with veggies in a tawa.
When Rekha Shiva posted a picture of Tawa Pulao in her Instagram acct, I was so drooling over her pulao that I planned to do it for our weekend lunch. Well, our Saturday started rainy and damp and it was a perfect weather to indulge in something spicy and hot.
Here is my recipe adapted from Rekha’s blog – Reshkitchen
Onion: 1 (medium size, sliced thin length wise)
Tomato: 1 (large, chopped finely)
Baby Carrots: 6-7 (grated coarsely)
Yellow and Red bell pepper: 1 each (chopped finely)
Green peas: 2 tbsp
Corn: 2 tbsp
Ginger: 2 tsp (very finely minced)
Cilantro: few (finely chopped)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp (adjust this per your taste. We like spicy food and hence I have used 1 tsp of each)
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Pav bhaji masala: 1 tsp
Butter: 1 tbsp (3 tsp approx) + 1 tsp extra for frying rice
Basmati Rice: 1 cup
Salt: per taste
1. Preparing Rice for the Pulao
- Wash and clean rice. Drain water and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of butter and fry rice for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Switch of stove and allow it to cool for few minutes before cooking.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Cool it well before using.
2. Preparing bhaji (While rice gets cooked, prepare bhaji.)
- Heat butter in a big tawa (using non stick would help)
- Add ginger (and garlic) and fry for a min.
- Toss onion and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add carrots, bell peppers, corn and peas and fry for 2 mins.
- Toss tomato and the dry ingredients one by one.
- Add salt and mix them well.
- Close the pan and cook for 4-5 mins until veggies are cooked.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.
- Keep frying for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita.
- This is my version of tawa pulao adapted from the original recipe(http://www.reshkitchen.com/tawa-pulao)
- I have used the veggies that I had at home, you can even add cauliflower, potatoes etc.
- Using ginger garlic paste would give nice flavor. I didnt have garlic and hence used ginger alone.
- I had made oven roasted potatoes for side (our kids love them) and I tossed an handful in the pulao before serving.
- We like purple onion raita and it goes very well with this pulao.
Share & Enjoy! -