My mom often prepares Payatham paruppu (aka pasi paruppu) payasam. I love this kheer and I have this as a side dish for chapattis 😀 Heard Moong dal kheer is very famous in Kerala! Here is my version of Payatham paruppu payasam.
Payatham paruppu (Moong Dal): 1 cup
Jaggery: 1 cup
Milk: 1 cup
Cardamom powder: a pinch
Cashews and Raisins: few
Ghee: 2 tsps
- Shallow fry the dal for few mins till it turns slight brownish in color.
- Pressure cook the dal.
- Boil the milk and add the jaggery.
- Keep stirring till the jaggery completely dissolves.
- Now add the cardamom powder and the cooked dal.
- Allow it to cook for 2-3 mins and remove it from the stove.
- Heat ghee and fry the cashews and raisins.
- Add it to the kheer.
- Serve the kheer hot or cold.
- Frying the dal is not mandatory. You can also start from step 2.
- I have prepared the kheer with and without frying the dal, either way the payatham paruppu payasam tastes yummy 🙂
Share & Enjoy! -