With valentine’s day around the corner, I have already started surprising DH with sweet treats He is a chocolate lover! He would devour any dessert with chocolate in it. I do like chocolates but my sweet tooth cravings are not limited to chocolates alone 😛
I got this recipe from the very famous “joyofbaking.com”. I have followed her recipe with just small change. Also, the author uses 8 inch square pan. I didn’t have a square pan. Instead I used 6 inch round baking pan. I had a little extra batter (since 8″ square pan would have more volume than 6″ round pan) which I poured in muffin tray. It yielded 3 small muffins.
Recipe Source: Joyofbaking.com
Preparation: 10 min
Baking: 35 min
For Chocolate Cake
All purpose flour: 1.5 cups
Granulated sugar: 1 cup
Butter: 1/3 cup (5.333 tbsps, melted & at room temp)
Unsweetened cocoa powder: 1/4 cup (sifted)
Pure vanilla extract: 1 tsp
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Warm water: 1 cup
For Chocolate Frosting
This measurement is for 6″ round pan. In case you use 8″ square pan, just triple the measurements below.
Butter: 1/2 tbsp
Semi sweet chocolate: 3 oz
Heavy cream: 1/4 cup
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Pre heat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and sugar.
- Add butter, water, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Mix the ingredients until well blended.
- Pour the batter in un-greased baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cake to cool.
Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- Place chopped chocolate in a bowl and add warm cream + butter.
- Stir well until chocolate dissolves completely.
- Allow the mixture to stand for about 1 hr, the ganache would slowly thicken.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over cooled cake.
- Allow the mixture to settle over the cake for few minutes.
- Slice and top it with chocolate sprinkles (I had used m&ms for decoration)
- Enjoy the chocolate cake with ice cream.
Note: After allowing the chocolate ganache to thicken, I slightly whipped the cream to get soft creamy texture. This is just my personal preference.
Share & Enjoy! -