Puran Poli is a Maharashtrian dessert. Polis are like chapatis (Indian bread) with the puran (sweet prepared with lentils) stuffed in it. It is known as Hoorna holige in Kannada. It is customary that we prepare Poli/Holige during Ugadi/Gudi padwa. My mom is an expert in preparing puran poli. Am yet to learn it from her Am posting my mom’s specialty Puran poli/Holige recipe.
Maidha: 1.5 cups
Kadalai paruppu (Bengal gram): 3/4 cup
Jaggery: 1 cup
Elachi (Cardamom) powder: 1/4 tsp
Jathikai (nutmeg) powder: 1/4 tsp
Rice flour: 1/4 cup
Oil : 1/4 cup (To mix the dough and roasting the polis)
- Mix maidha, water and oil to make a dough (just like we do for chappatis)
- Use the oil generously while preparing the dough to get soft polis.
- Leave the dough untouched for about 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the puran.
- Puran/Hoorna Preparation Method:
- Cook the kadalai paruppu in pressure cooker.
- Allow it to cool and drain the water completely.
- Smash the cooked dal in the mixer without adding water.
- Mix the smashed dal and jaggery in a pan.
- Add the elachi and nutmeg powder to this mixture.
- Heat the mixture (The puran should not be watery).
- Note that the puran should not become very hard.
- Remove the mixture from the stove when it is in the semi-solid state.
- We should able to make small balls without the puran sticking to our hand.
- Make small balls out of the maidha dough.
- Press it in your palm and flatten it or make it as a cup.
- Make small ball out of the puran that we had prepared.
- Place the puran/hoorna in the flattened maidha dough and close it.
- While stuffing the puran, seal it completely.
- The puran placed within the maidha should not be visible.
- Dredge the maidha puran ball in rice flour.
- Now roll it like chappatis.
- Fry it on a tawa applying ghee on both the sides.
- Serve the Poli with Ghee and milk.
Poli can be served warm or cold. Some prefer to have it with ghee and milk. I usually have Polis with ghee alone. Either way it tastes yummy.
While preparing puran/hoorna we can little ghee to the dal jaggery mixture.
Share & Enjoy! -