Koshimbir is a “No-Cook” recipe. It is a healthy salad prepared with lentils and raw veggies. Mustard seasoned in sesame oil acts as the salad dressing. This cruchy recipe is a must in Thanjavur Maharastrian festive menu.
Moong dal (payatham paruppu): 4 tbsp
Green chillies: 1-2 (chopped)
Raw mango and/or Cucumber: 1-2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Grated coconut: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Hing (asafetida/perungayum): a pinch
Curry leaves and/or Cilantro: few (chopped finely)
Sesame oil (gingelly oil): 1/2 tsp
Lime juice (optional): 1/4 tsp
Salt: to taste
Note: I didn’t have carrots at home so skipped it. Adding grated carrots gives wonderful taste increases the crunchiness of this kosambari / salad.
- Soak dal in water for about an hour.
- Drain the water and add chopped mango, cucumber, cilantro, salt and grated coconut.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil and do seasoning with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add it to the dal kosambari.
- Add lime juice and stir well before you serve.
Share & Enjoy! -